Elective Physical Education - Lifeguard Certification
ELECTIVE PHYSICAL EDUCATION - LIFEGUARDING CERTIFICATION CLASS: Lifeguarding
Lifeguarding is designed to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel arrive and take over the emergency situation.
Offered: Fall and Spring
Number of Periods per Semester: One
Grade Level: 9-10-11-12
Course Prerequisites: (9th graders in the spring who have completed PE II through an outside vendor in the summer and PE I at ZCHS in the Fall)
American Red Cross Prerequisite: Must be performed on the first day of pool activity.
- Minimum age of 15.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Students may swim using front crawl, breastroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back in not allowed. Swim goggles may be use.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Students should place their hands under their armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10 pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keep the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps
Tryout : None
Counselor Approval Required: None
Dual Credit: None
Diploma Path:Directed Elective or Elective for All Diploma Paths
Quantitative Reasoning: No
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
- Demonstrate competency in the three final skill scenarios.
- Correctly answer at least 80 percent of the questions in the three sections of the final written exam.
Certificate Issued and Validity Period
CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid: 2 years
Lifeguarding: 2 years